Sunday, October 18, 2009

The New Media Literacies

I agree that technology is very useful and beneficial to our culture. All of the skills mentioned are needed to be effective in technology. I do see that our culture is turning to everything in technology so it is helpful to teach our students these skills so they can be prepared for their future career. Even though I think everyone should have exposure to this technology, they don't have to have it to be a successful artist, citizen, or worker.

I have some of the skills listed such as: judgement, negotiation, appropriation, play, collective intelligence, distributed cognition, visualization, and multitasking. I definitely have the multitasking down, I'm a woman and a mom. I'm getting better at transmedia navigation from this class. For me to acquire the performance part, I would have to get comfortable with what I'm talking about. Plus I don't like to be in the forefront and be seen I think some people are naturally better at this and enjoy it. As far as simulation, I would have to do research on this topic.

In my research to find information about the New Media Literacies Project, I found a you tube video done about some high school students. This video helped me understand the importance of new media literacy more than the assigned video. The video showed a range a what students could do in their class, from rapping to a game show. I can really see now how much a student could benefit from this project. To view this video click here: New Media Literacy Project.

Another great site to find information about New Media Literacy is New Jersey's New Media Literacy Project. The information on this site talks about the benefits of students participation in this project. Two that I was most interested in were the benefits to students health awareness and violence reduction.

In researching I found this blog of an intern involved in the New Media Literacy Project and their will be a New Media Literacy Conference this next week if anyone can make it. It's at M.I.T. - good luck! :)


When I first started researching this topic I was not that into it, but I persisted and it really changed my initial view.

4 comments:

  1. I have the multitasking thing down too! You do get the practice once you have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! Mom=multitasking. You have to have that skill to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post..completely agree about the multitasking!

    ReplyDelete