Saturday, November 14, 2009

At the Teacher's Desk

The Fundred Project


When I first checked out At the Teacher's Desk blog, I watched the videos on The Fundred Project. I found the information about the lead being in the soil in New Orleans very surprising. I wasn't aware of this problem before this video. I had no idea that lead could cause such issues for people, especially children. The explanation in the video about how the lead gets in the soil really shocked me as well, I guess I'm not attuned to things like this. I'm glad I watched this video so that I can learn to be more aware of the pollutants of the world.

I thought this project is a wonderful way for students and classrooms to get involved around the world to support this cause. The students will be able to learn a lot from this one project. They are being apart of something going to Congress. This has to let the students feel like they are making a difference. I'm curious to find out how this will turn out.

In looking at this blog, I clicked on several of the members. In doing so I wasn't able to see their blogs, but I was able to see what blogs they follow. I checked many of them out. Some were educational that I became members of, like a blog about students' shared work about space. I also really got interested in a blog about photography, I love photography.

Picture from a Class Blog about Space

In reviewing, At the Teacher's Desk, I watched videos from other school from across the world. One video was a middle school boy giving a speech in front of his whole school, he was Irish. It was hard to understand him. I went to another collaborators blog and watched him teach his class about the revolutionary war. This is a good idea for students to be able to go watch later when studying for test or for extra help.

I really enjoyed the post about the sick Math teacher needing help for the class assignment. One of the other teachers twittered about needing help and many many people came to her rescue. This really helped me understand the PLN a little more.

Tweeters Helping a Teacher

I especially liked the post about helping students create a positive digital portfolio. Mr. Chamberlain writes about how students are being perceived mostly in a negative way, because some are posting negative things on facebook or recording and taking pictures of inappropriate things. These are the things that most of the media get a hold of and report. He explains there are good sites that show our students in a positive light, but we also need to teach them what things are appropriate to share with the world and what are not, especially since you have future employers out there to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment