Thursday, November 19, 2009

Technology Lists for Teachers


Seven Stupid Mistakes Teachers Make With Technology

I definitely think one stupid thing that a teacher could do is using a school's computer like a home computer. I disagree with people that play on their computer at work, when they are getting paid to do a job. It's like stealing money from their employer. If you are on your lunch break and you need to check an email or something, I think that's fine. I also feel that if you come to work early or stay late, to make your working time even out with any time you should clock out for, that could be fine too, as long as it's not all the time. But it is not smart to save all of your personal information to the school's computer, for reasons such as if the computer messes up or your children get ahold of the computer and damages it. That is not professional!


The second stupid thing a teacher could think is that technology in schools will go away. There is no way NO WAY that technology is going away, it's only going to get more integrated every year. For one that's why we're in this class, to teach us how to use technology in the classroom effectively.


Seven Brilliant Things Teachers Do With Technology

I agree that on brilliant thing a teacher can do is make conferencing real-time. Brilliant teachers don't wait until scheduled parent conferences to communicate with homes. Through e-mail, Web sites, online grade books, blogs, wikis, and, yes, even telephone calls, technology gives teachers the ability to make parents partners who help assure students' timely, quality work. They post newsletters, spelling lists, assessment tools, assignments, grades, calendars, discussion lists, and tips. They read and respond to parent e-mails. Most parents want to be involved, but they like knowing how. This is so true, I really like my daughter's teacher this year but she doesn't have any sort of communication on a website or email. So far we've only met at Open Houses or conferences. We have also kept in contact with notes and papers sent home. However, when I taught a few years ago, I didn't communicate any different than my daughter's teacher. I didn't know much about technology and my school didn't stress the importance of it either. I think that parent/teacher communication can only benefit a student.

Another brilliant thing a teacher can do is use the kids’ own devices to teach them. Students are personal communication devices -- cell phones, cameras, game devices, iPods/mp3 players, netbooks, laptops, and PDAs. I think it's smart for a teacher to stay updated with the types of devices their students are into and know how to use them effectively. When using these devices, the students will get more interested in their work and excited about it.


New Classroom Rules

Leave your seat only when necessary, which should be often to go collaborate with others or demonstrate something to the class. I really liked this rule, because I think it's important for students to learn to work with others that are different from them. They will get to learn so much from their peers, like new ideas, different points-of-view, and cooperating with others. This rule will also teach students to ask others for help. I really liked this rule!

Be polite, courteous, and respectful at all times in both physical and virtual space.I also loved this rule! I think that so many people don't know how or choose to not be polite, courteous, or respectful. Where are peoples manners these days. Some people need to learn to hold their tongues and thoughts to themselves. It's not always the time or the place to voice their opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment